Saturday, May 21, 2011

Saying Goodbye

We had to say goodbye to a very special member of our family this week.




When Michael and I began dating in the summer of 1998, I shared with him how much I loved schnauzers. After four months of dating, Michael took me to Canton and we found this little gray bundle of joy. The moment I picked her up, she laid her head on my chest and we instantly bonded. Michael and I didn't have a clue just how much this dog was going to change our lives. She was the beginning of our family.





We loved this girl more than anything.
When Addison arrived several years later, it was difficult for Allie to understand that she had to share us. This was the first night she acknowledged Addison. I was so happy. She accepted both kids, but didn't really want anything to do with them. Ironically, in the last months of her life, she was drawn to Addison more than anyone else.







Allie loved to be outside with us. Michael would chip golf balls and she would run after them. It was always a battle when she brought them back. She didn't ever want to give up the balls.


When she was a puppy she had a hilarious nighttime routine. About 9:00 she would put her tail between her legs, crouch down and run through the house like a crazy dog for several minutes. We called this her crack-baby act. It was so funny.



Allie Belle was my constant companion in bed. She had to lay in the middle of the bed under my arm. She was often cold and would bury herself under the blanket. We spent many hours snuggled together.




She absolutely hated going to the groomer and vet. Although she was beautiful after her trips to the beauty shop, she would pout for a while after returning.


She was our first baby and was treated like royalty.




Allie did not like the rain or snow. She was the best dog when it came to potty training, but all bets were off when any kind of precipitation came out of the sky. You knew she really had to potty when she went outside in the rain or snow.





We got Dottie when Allie was 9 months old. They quickly became known as "the girls". They have spent every day of their lives together ever since.I wasn't the only one who like to snuggle with Allie Belle.


This past January, Michael accidentally ran over Dottie with his truck. Thankfully, he only grazed her hip. Even though Allie was completely blind and deaf, she immediately went to check on Dottie as soon as she returned from the vet. Allie crawled in bed with Dottie and stayed there with her for the duration of the evening. They were true sisters.



This was our last morning with Allie.


We are so thankful for the many years with had with this sweet baby girl.



Our family is hurting right now. We miss our Allie Belle.



We know she lived a great life and is not suffering anymore, but it doesn't stop the hurting in our hearts. She was part of us....our family will never have another Allie.


Allie Belle

July 19, 1998 - May 17, 2011

4 comments:

ljudd said...

Beautiful tribute to an amazing dog!

The Byrd's Nest said...

Oh my friend...I am so so sorry. I know how much you all loved this sweet girl. Praying for all of you.

Taryn said...

That sweet girl loved you guys so much! I am so sorry to hear the news...Thinking of all of you.

The Zookeepers said...

:( I didn't know, Kathy. I'm so sorry. She was an amazing dog.